The past year has been a rather difficult one for the economy. With the coronavirus pandemic in our midst, the economy has reeled from an unprecedented crisis — not just in India but across the globe. Like the rest of the world, we in India are all waiting eagerly for more policy actions, among other things, to bring the much-needed green shoots of recovery.
Coming against this backdrop, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman’s next Union Budget, likely to be presented in early February, will be keenly watched.
Just how deep is the trouble facing our economy? What can be the remedies? What are the tools before the government to deliver us from the throes of a downturn? What will be reasonable, or not, to expect from the finance minister? Through its extensive coverage – news reportage, insightful columns, compelling views and special analyses – Business Standard will try to answer all these and more.
Here is an overview:
In the run-up to the Budget
1. Beyond Budget Headlines with AKB: In this special video every Monday, watch Business Standard’s in-house policy expert A K Bhattacharya read beyond the news headlines to make sense of what could and should be expected from the finance minister on the Budget Day.
2. Banking on Budget: In this weekly special column every Wednesday, an industry expert looks at the needs and wants of a key sector of the economy to gauge where we stand and where we wish to be.
3. Budget Beeps with BS: This thrice-a-week newsletter – on every Monday, Wednesday and Friday – delivers right into your inbox all Budget-related reportage, views, analyses, and multimedia from the entire week.
On Budget day
1. Budget Commentary: Read our live commentary, along with insights in real time, as the finance minister presents her “never before” Budget.
2. Budget Insights: A number of special columns by best market and policy – from IIFL’s Nirmal Jain to Marcellus Investment Managers’ Saurabh Mukherjea, Icra’s Aditi Nayar, Kotak Mahindra AMC’s Nilesh Shah, CARE Ratings’ Madan Sabnavis and Grant Thornton India’s Krishan Arora – will decode key provisions in Budget 2021 for the markets, economy and taxation.
3. Budget chat: Watch this live chat between T N Ninan and A K Bhattacharya as they discuss the good, bad and not-so-good in Ms Sitharaman’s ambitious Budget.